How much power is there in the Holy Name?

Since I am currently in the birthplace of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur, in this beautiful environment, I have been paying more attention to learning songs he wrote. That will be one of the main thrusts of my next six weeks before I return to Vrindavan in September. This translation is basically that of Dasharatha Suta Das, with a few changes.

========================

কৃষ্ণ-নাম ধরে কত বল ?

kṛṣṇa nāma dhare kato bala?

How much power is there in the Holy Name?

বিষয় বাসনানলে মোর চিত্ত সদা জ্ৱলে
রবিতপ্ত মরুভূমি সম ।
কর্ণরন্ধ্রপথ দিয়া হৃদি মাঝে প্রবেশিয়া
বরিষয় সুধা অনুপম ॥১॥

biṣaẏa bāsanānale mora citta sadā jvale
rabi tapta maru bhūmi sama |
karṇa randhra patha diẏā hṛdi mājhe prabeśiẏā
bariṣaẏa sudhā anupama ||1||

In the flames of my desire to enjoy, my heart is always burning
like a desert under the burning sun.
Through the holes of my ears, the Name enters my heart,
and rains down incomparable nectar.

হৃদয় হৈতে বলে জিহ্বার অগ্রেতে চলে
শব্দরূপে নাচে অনুক্ষণ ।
কণ্ঠে মোর ভঙ্গে স্বর অঙ্গ কাঁপে থর থর
স্থির হৈতে না পারে চরণ ॥২॥

hṛdaẏa haite bale jihvāra agrete cale
śabda-rūpe nāce anukṣaṇa |
kaṇṭhe mora bhaṅge svara aṅga kā~pe thara thara
sthira haite nā pāre caraṇa ||2||

It wells up from my heart to the tip of my tongue
where it constantly dances in the form of sound.
My voice breaks in my throat, my body trembles helplessly,
and my feet cannot remain still for long.

চক্ষে ধারা দেহে ঘর্ম পুলকিত সব চর্ম
বিবর্ণ হৈল কলেবর ।
মূর্চ্ছিত হৈল মন প্রলয়ের আগমন
ভাবে সর্ব দেহ জর জর ॥৩॥

cakṣe dhārā dehe gharma pulakita saba carma
bibarṇa haila kalebara |
mūrcchita haila mana pralaẏera āgamana
bhābe sarba deha jara jara ||3||

My eyes are filled with tears, my body begins to perspire,
my body hairs stand on end, I lose color.
My mind stops functioning, I start to faint.
My entire body is incapacitated by divine ecstasies.

করি এত উপদ্রব চিত্তে বর্ষে সুধাদ্রব
মোরে ডারে প্রেমের সাগরে ।
কিছু না বুঝিতে দিল মোরে তো বাতুল কৈল
মোর চিত্ত বিত্ত সব হারে ॥৪॥

kari eta upadraba citte barṣe sudhā-draba
more ḍāre premera sāgare |
kichu nā bujhite dila more to bātula kaila
mora citta bitta saba hāre ||4||

The Name makes such a mess, raining nectar on my heart.
It flings me into the ocean of love.
It won't let me understand a thing, driven me mad,
stealing all of my mental faculties.

লৈনু আশ্রয় যাঁর হেন ব্যবহার তাঁর
বর্ণিতে না পারি এ সকল ।
কৃষ্ণ নাম ইচ্ছা-ময় যাহে যাহে সুখী হয়
সেই মোর সুখের সম্বল ॥৫॥

lainu āśraẏa yāṅra, hena byabahāra tāṅra
barṇite nā pāri e sakala |
kṛṣṇa nāma icchā-maẏa, yāhe yāhe sukhī haẏa
sei mora sukhera sambala ||5||

I have taken refuge of the Name, and yet it treats me this way!
I cannot put words to its misbehavior.
Krishna’s name is completely independent, and
I am pleased to submit to whatever pleases it.

প্রেমের কলিকা নাম অদ্ভুত রসের ধাম
হেন বল করয়ে প্রকাশ ।
ঈষৎ বিকশিত হৈয়া দেখায় নিজ রূপ গুণ
চিত্ত হরি লয় কৃষ্ণ পাশ ॥৬॥

premera kalikā nāma adbhuta rasera dhāma
hena bala karaẏe prakāśa |
īṣat bikaśita hañā dekhāẏa nija rūpa guṇa
citta hari laẏa kṛṣṇa pāśa ||6||

The Name is a flowerbud, the amazing abode of rasa.
It manifests so much transcendental strength.
When even slightly revealed, it shows me its form and attributes.
It steals my mind and takes it to Krishna’s side.

পূর্ণ বিকশিত হৈয়া ব্রজে মোরে যায় লৈয়া
দেখায় মোর স্বরূপ বিলাস ।
মোরে সিদ্ধ দেহ দিয়া কৃষ্ণ পাশে রাখে গিয়া
এ দেহের করে সর্ব-নাশ ॥৭॥

pūrṇa bikaśita hajñā braje more yāẏa lajñā
dekhāẏa mora svarūpa bilāsa |
more siddha deha diẏā kṛṣṇa pāśe rākhe giẏā
e dehera kare sarba-nāśa ||7||

When the Name is fully revealed, it takes me directly to Vraja,
where it shows me my role in the eternal pastimes.
It gives me my spiritual body and places me by Krishna’s side,
destroying this material body completely.

কৃষ্ণ-নাম চিন্তামণি অখিল রসের খনি
নিত্য মুক্ত শুদ্ধ রস ময় ।
নামের বালাই যত সব লয়ে হ ই হত
তবে মোর সুখের উদয় ॥৮॥

kṛṣṇa-nāma cintāmaṇi akhila rasera khani
nitya mukta śuddha rasa maẏa |
nāmera bālāi yata saba laẏe hai hata
tabe mora sukhera udaẏa ||8||

The Holy Name is a spiritual jewel. It is the mine of unlimited rasa.
It is eternally liberated, it is made of nectar through and through.
All these wonders of the Name have confounded me,
but it is still the source of all my happiness.


Sound cloud.

Comments

Anonymous said…

Ādeśa - Dearest Siddha Jagadananda Das,

Thank you for posting this translation of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur's beautiful lyrics of his musical composition; one hopes the truth of this song finds the ears of your readers.

Yours in the dance,

śrīmaccidānandanātha
In regard to the word तप्त (tapta) quoted above in verse 1; my person was looking further into this word in the Śrī Gaudīya Vaiṣṇavas’ Saṅkṣepa-arcana-paddhati:

And to Śrī Rādhā:

तप्त-काञ्चन-गौराङ्गि राधे वृन्दावनेश्वरि
वृषभानु-सुते देवि प्रणमामि हरि-प्रिये

tapta-kāñcana-gaurāṅgi rādhe vṛndāvaneśvari
vṛṣabhānu-sute devi praṇamāmi hari-priye

Source:

https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/bhajana-rahasya/d/doc421031.html

Notes

तप्त (tapta) → तप् (tap) + त (ta) “the jewel shining (like the sun) in the womb of all creation.”

तप् (tap) see 2 “to shine (as the sun):”

http://www.sanskrita.org/scans/visor.html?scan=436.gif

त (ta) see 3 “the womb, a jewel:”

http://www.sanskrita.org/scans/visor.html?scan=431.gif

तप्त (taptá)

http://www.sanskrita.org/scans/visor.html?scan=437.gif
Anonymous said…
J.D.,

If you take a look, the last verse you have quoted (verse 8), confirms the Holy Name as the “spiritual jewel” (in the mine of unlimited rasa) which corroborates with the translation of the word तप्त (tapta) → तप् (tap) + त (ta) as “the jewel shining (like the sun) in the womb of all creation.”

M.N.

Popular posts from this blog

O Mind! Meditate on Radha's Breasts

Swami Vishwananda's Bhakti Marga and Parampara

Erotic sculptures on Jagannath temple